All posts tagged: Guildford

Dodgson and his sisters

In August 1868, the Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by his pen name Lewis Carroll, took a lease on a house called ‘The Chestnuts’ in Guildford, close by the town’s castle. His seven sisters were about to be made homeless.

Offerings to the Dog-God

They are to be seen on all the routes where the dogs bring their human helpers (these examples were found by the River Wey at Guildford). Strange fruits, these turds encased in shiny bags, neatly tied and placed on grass, at the foot of trees, hung from branches and fences.